Monday, February 20, 2012

Pancake Tuesday!!

For as long as I can remember, Pancake Tuesday meant and still means Pancakes for Dinner! Who doesn’t love pancake Tuesday!

So, technically it is "Shrove Tuesday" which is the day before lent and traditionally it is the day that everyone would use up the sugar, fat, flour and eggs prior to lent as these foods are restricted during that time. This recipe below is a lighter cleaned up version but still tastes extra yummy and my kids have never ever complained.

I thought I would share one of my go to pancake recipes seeing that Tuesday is Pancake Day! (ok, so no pancakes for me this year, but the kids will enjoy it for me I’m sure!)

Rice Pancakes (makes approximately 14 (4) inch pancakes)

1 ½ cups almond milk (or alt milk of choice)
1 ½ tbsp white vinegar
1 ½ cups rice flour
½ cup oat or millet flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ sea salt
1 Tbsp apple butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 eggs
(optional ingredients I like to add include cinnamon and mashed bananas or chopped bananas)

Mix the almond milk with the vinegar and allow to stand for 5 minutes until it curdles. Mix dry ingredients together and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat apple butter, oil, eggs and milk. Add dry mixture and stir gently.

Cook on a preheated pan, silver dollar size

Recipe adapted from the Ultracare for Kids parent guide (we had this from year’s ago when Abby was on an elimination diet and still use the recipe to this day)

No comments:

Post a Comment