Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ooey gooey fudge balls!

Well, after almost 3 weeks on this elimination diet and my “issues” are still doing much better but I have had a few flare ups, so either there is still something in my diet that is causing the issue or the change in weather has prompted its return, the verdict is still out.

I am still continuing on the clean eating (meaning better than the clean eating I was doing, just kicked it up a notch, or two) however decided that I needed something ooey, gooey and delicious! So, I decided to make some Fudge Balls, also known as Fudge Babies, Energy Bites, Date Balls, really you can call them whatever you like, I call them YUMMY and so does Ab's, which makes them that much better.

Who doesn't love a healthier treat! The only problem with these is having self-control, I don’t make them very often because I find I certainly can’t stop at just one and have a hard time limiting the consumption at all!

These can be made a billion different ways, as you know I love options and tend to use whatever is available in the house at the time. I have made these without nuts and used coconut, I've used raw almond butter, raw peanut butter, raw cashews, raw walnuts, seeds, no seeds, really whatever you want! I've even made them without cocoa, all in all they are fantastic and fudgy just like a brownie!

You can shape these into balls, bars, bites, and cookies, whatever you wish.

Today’s version was:
Ingredients (makes approximately 20 balls)
½  c dates
½ c almonds
2 tbp sunflower seeds
1 scoop chia seeds
2-3 tbsp cocoa powder (or cacao if you have it instead)
1-2 tbsp water (if needed)
Process all in a food processor
Roll into balls

Consume this totally awesome yumminess!

A few nutritional tidbits on Dates:
They are an excellent source of soluble fibre, they contain minerals, antioxidants and are an easily digested form of carbohydrates. Do keep in mind that they are naturally high in sugar content, with most varieties containing glucose or fructose, however they are a natural sugar so if you're going to eat sugar you are far better to consume the natural form.

This little treat is not weighed down with flours and flavorings, sugars and butter, they are chock full of natural whole ingredients so when you're looking for a sweet treat, these are far better than anything you're going to pick up at the store.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I used to make a similar treat when Jessie was just a little girl...forgot all about them. Thanks for the reminder! (love the addition of cacao!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the cacao makes it more like a brownie, I'm pretty sure thats why my kids love them! My next batch will omit the nuts and use coconut and seeds instead so I can tuck them into the lunch box.

    ReplyDelete