Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Potato Crust Quiche

I love quiche, its a quick easy meal to prepare, however when it comes to the typical crust it makes it not the healthiest of options for dinner, so I decided to experiment and revamp the traditional quiche.

For the crust, thinly slice potatoes or sweet potatoes
Toss the potatoes with a tbsp of olive oil
Line a pie plate with the potatoes

Bake at 350 for approximately 10-15 minutes - do not burn!

Once cooked you can then add your favourite quiche ingredients into the potato shell, top with your beaten eggs and bake as per usual.

My newest trick is to add leftover squash to the beaten eggs; the kids don't know the difference!

My last quiche I did the following, as per usual it was simply what I had on hand:

Peel 1 large potato or sweet potato (more if needed)
Slice thin
Toss with 1 tbsp oil

Grease a pie plate with oil (olive, butter or coconut oil)
Line pie plate with potato slices
Bake for 10-15 minutes at 350

Toppings:
Option 1
Sweet potato lined crust
½ green pepper sliced
½ cup cherry tomatoes (next time I will omit)
¼ cup diced red onion
½ cup (or less) shredded mozzarella
black pepper


or
 
Option 2
Potato lined crust
½ cup diced ham
½ cup cherry tomatoes (next time I will omit)
½ cup shredded mozzarella
black pepper



Once you have placed your options into the crust you:
beat 5-6 eggs
add ½ cup cooked squash (optional)
pour over top (for each quiche - so 2 quiche would require roughly 1 dozen eggs)

Bake at 350 for approximately 45 minutes (if in a hurry you can increase the temp to roughly 400 but keep an eye on it)

Serve with a tossed salad

I have since decided that really I am not a huge fan of cooked tomatoes in quiche and neither is my daughter, so next time I will omit.

Cheese is simply an option, the stronger the cheese the less that’s required. Typically I prefer to use old cheddar or goat’s milk feta. If using a stronger flavoured cheese you could easily decrease the amount to 1/3 cup.

When it comes to quiche the options are endless as to what ingredients you wish to use. Fresh herbs and spices add nice flavor, use an array of colorful veggies, salmon and shrimp would be wonderful additions as well. Quiche is also great for breakfast, lunch or dinner so don't limit yourself as the options are endless.

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment