Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day One "detox" update!

After day 1 of my current elimination diet I have decided to call this “DETOX”.
 
I forgot just how terrible the first few days can be. I now recall that I did a “30 day challenge” a few years ago and had to remove many items out of my diet at that time and remember now the terrible headache and flu like feelings that accompanied it.

I made it thru day 1, with a headache that started at 9:30 am and continued on for the course of the day. By 4pm I was feeling like I had the flu and started to somewhat question my reasoning for doing this “detox”.

I survived the drive home, put on my pj’s and crawled into bed at 5pm. Bed didn’t last long though, which happens when you have a 5 year old and when you also need to prepare food for the next day.

“Detox” takes thought, preparation, time and commitment!
 
I managed to make it through the evening with the pounding headache, prepared some food for dinner and lunch the next day and was back in bed by 8:30pm, what an exciting evening!

Today starts day two, woke up feeling great (who wouldn’t after such a long night of sleep), only to have the headache make its return at 7:30 am., however I seem to be managing much better today.

I certainly won’t be falling off the detox wagon, simply because I do not want to repeat this process again anytime soon. I think that’s how I quit smoking years ago too, with the same attitude. There was no way that I was going to start that again and again so it was cold turkey, done.

Each day will get easier and the headache should disappear within the next few days along with any other ill feelings too.

I don’t know that I actually laid out exactly what I have had to remove from my diet in order to do this elimination, so here it is:

No dairy, no grains, no chicken, no beef, no pork, no almonds, no citrus, no potatoes, no apples, no sugars, no mushrooms, no tomatoes, no caffeine, no beans, no legumes, no vinegar, no peanuts, no eggs. That about sums it up

At this point you may be asking what can I eat?

Well, there is still a ton of foods on my allow list, again it just takes thought and prep.

I can eat most other vegetables and fruits, most nuts, wild salmon, halibut, turkey, scallops, olive oil, sea salt, avocados. If I listed out all of the fruits and vegetables that I am allowed then this list would seem much longer and really it’s totally manageable as well.

I have to say after day 1 I really noted just how terrible I have been lately with the caffeine and sugar overload. Thus how terrible it had me feeling. If nothing else it will certainly be an excellent wakeup call and eye opener at that.

So far, so good, as the day goes on I seem to be managing this headache well, this gives me hope for tomorrow!

One day at a time they say. I’m not sure how long I need to run my detox, time will tell. If I happen to notice any major improvements within the next 3 or 4 days then I may try and add one of the foods back in, however I may just try and ride this out a few weeks and see what happens. It’ll certainly do my body some good. Just have to see how long I last.

I’ve had a few emails from people tackling their own challenges this week, feel free to post up any comments here as to any changes you may be taking on. And I’d like to wish good luck to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment