Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Hummus

For some unknown reason I have been purchasing hummus for the past few months. I'm not sure why I keep thinking one will taste better than another, none of them are as good as the homemade real deal. It's not hard to make, I often have most of the items on hand, its cheap, its fresh. Really, there are many reasons why I should insist on always making it fresh but for some reason I have been buying it....so unlike me!

Hummus is great as a veggie dip. It's far superior to any creamy salad dressings and dips. Homemade makes it that much better, without all sorts of additives and preservatives that you can't say let alone spell. Do yourself a favor and read the label on whatever you are currently using as a vegetable dip, you may just be surprised by what is inside that bottle.

Todays version of Hummus is full of garlicky goodness!

1 can chick peas (garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed (if using dried beans you will need to cook them first)
3 cloves of garlic (adjust to your taste)
4-5 slices of fresh ginger
1 rounded tsp cumin
3 Tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
olive oil - a good glug
juice of 1 lime (or lemon)
sea salt, black pepper
water - add 1 Tbsp at a time to reach the desired consistency

Mix everything in a magic bullet or food processor of some kind. If you don't have a food processor you can mash the chick peas with a fork, smash the garlic in a press, chop the ginger and stir in the rest of the ingredients till mixed through.

Hummus is great used as a dip for fresh vegetables, mixed with leftover rice, spread on crackers or as part of a sandwich. My preference is for dipping veggies.

Garbanzo beans are a great source of both fibre and protein.

If you've never tried the homemade version you should, its well worth it. Give it a go and let me know your thoughts.

If I could just convince the kids to eat it more often I'd be happy!

Garlic and ginger are create spices for the cold and flu season so feel free to use in excess!

No comments:

Post a Comment