Friday, January 27, 2012

Diet overhaul, are you ready?

Do you know the feeling when you are at the end of your rope and the ball is back in your court and all that is left to do is to follow your own advice? Well, I’ve hit that, and apparently hit it pretty hard. I’ve taken courses and read books and written case studies and made changes etc but now it’s time to really step it up and deal with the biggest challenge that each of us face. I must take a good, long, hard look at ME, at least temporarily to see if I can figure out some issues.

Oh, so not looking forward to this next step. I’ve made many changes over the years, I’ve tried the doctor’s advice, hell I’ve even had tests but nothing seems to be working too well these days and nothing is showing up as being wrong either, a bit of a mystery! Where’s Shaggy and Scooby and the mystery machine when I need them?


Next step, elimination diet! I hate those words, I will admit it! The worst part is, the typical elimination diet most recommended won’t work for me….my diet already follows the basis of it.

A typical elimination diet has you restricting the common allergens/intolerances out of your diet for a few weeks, and then reintroducing foods (food families) one by one, usually one every 3 to 4 days (ensuring time in between to see if any of the reintroduced foods are causing an issue). The other main reason for an elimination diet is to reduce the burden on your digestive system, we all need a break every once in while.

The typical elimination diet (in brief) has you removing all gluten grains (sometimes oats are acceptable), eggs, white potatoes, tomatoes, corn, all citrus fruits, sugars (and sweeteners), all dairy products, all processed foods, pork (sometimes beef) and caffeine.

Since my diet typically avoids most processed foods, limits corn, limits and practically avoids gluten and dairy already I need to step it up further, beyond this. (Yes, I understand that I have not fully restricted anything, therefore my diet has not been exactly “perfectly clean”, however its clean enough that I know the typical elimination will not work for me and would be a waste of time….its time for a diet overhaul). I have to remove a good portion of what I eat every day and replace it with some not so common foods (well, not so common to me at least). Time to change it up.

Sometimes over the years we can develop food sensitivity or intolerance to foods, simply by eating more than your system is able to process. An elimination diet is a great way to test out which foods (if any) are causing you issue.

I’ve had eczema ever since I was little, it’s nothing new. Some days it is under control better than others. Some days I cannot fully extend my right hand as it is so dry and sore that the skin just won’t stretch without splitting. Some days it’s itchy, some days it’s spotty and some days it’s hardly even there. And I keep ignoring it. I’ve known for a long time now that it is most likely something in my diet but I am stubborn and just didn’t feel like I had “time” to have to deal with it.

The winter months can be harsh on anyone’s skin with the colder air and the constant dry heat from the furnace. It’s not unusual to have dry, chapped skin this time of year, however there comes a time when enough is enough.

My issues over the past year seem to be involving a few other internal systems, this is where it is becoming more apparent that the time has come to take matters into my own hands and find the source of the issues and start looking at fixing them, since any test to date is showing up that I am perfectly healthy and functioning.

You shouldn’t eat a meal (especially one that you feel is “healthy”) and experience abdominal bloating or discomfort or indigestion. Your colon should not be sluggish. My teacher always likes to quote “one meal in, one meal out”, seriously, if only we were all so fortunate!

These are signs people that something is not working right. Your body is not breaking down your food properly. Sometimes it can be as simple as bad food combining, sometimes you are not producing enough stomach acid to break it down, you may be suffering from mal-absorption or mal-digestion and therefore not processing the foods and getting from them what your body needs. There are many different possibilities.

These are all mere examples of some of the reasons to try an elimination diet. We all have items in our diet that really don’t need to be there, however not everyone is at a point where they need to make themselves priority and take a really long hard look at themselves and decide to make a change.

Change is never easy. I certainly don’t anticipate the diet changes I am about to embark upon to be simple. They are completely doable, however they will require some thought and preparation and a willingness to yet again jump out of my comfort zone. I like to have a plan, so my plan is to start on Monday. The reasoning for this is that I can plan for it, I can shop for it and I can have a meal plan in mind (meaning I will have some idea of what I will be eating for breakfast/lunch/dinner as many of my typical “go to foods” will be restricted for the next month or so).

Be warned people, I once again have to give up coffee. I love coffee and yes I know it’s not needed, it’s not good for me, and it could easily be removed from my diet for good. Over the years I have gone off coffee at one time or another for short periods of time and each time I swear I am never doing it again. It is the one thing that I love love love! I love the smell, the taste and the ultimate comfort I seem to have linked to it.

I will survive, the question is, will all of you?

Be forewarned that I may be feeling some withdrawal issues over the next few weeks (again I don’t start this till Monday) as I remove caffeine and sugar, so if I’m a bit of a cranky pants (ok, so more than usual) I apologize now.

Updates will follow.

What do you need to remove from your diet?

No comments:

Post a Comment