Monday, October 10, 2011

Thanksgiving Road Ride


 Saturday morning, I was afforded the luxury of getting out for a ride on my road bike (the pedaling kind!).

I am ashamed to admit and actually cannot believe how many weeks had passed since the last time I had gotten out, almost 9 weeks, that’s over 2 months! What happened to the rest of August and all of September? Seriously, not so sure of how 2 months so quickly disappeared.

I have been spinning weekly during this time, however there is nothing that beats getting outside and sucking wind on our beautiful back roads. Feeling the sun beat upon your back, the wind in your face and the beautiful views.

Any road ride that I begin, especially from home, has to go uphill within the first 5 - 10 minutes, since Uxbridge seems to be situated in a hole you must climb up up up to get out.  That first hill is always dreaded. I can see it for quite some time before I actually reach it and I don't ever think my climb looks graceful. There are times when I have seen other cyclists climb this same hill, namely Adam Ruppel from Chico Racing (www.chicoracing.com). I swear he just walks right up it, without missing a peddle stroke, losing his breath or uttering a curse word under his breath, he makes it look graceful, I however tend to suck wind, curse a bit and feel the burn the entire way up the climb. Yesterday was no different, however it felt amazing. I literally reached the top and it felt like there should have been a ribbon to cross beneath a finish line banner and I was ready to throw my hands in the air and feel the excitement of completing a victorious race, it was just that damn good!

On this particular route, once you get up that first hill climb, its beautiful riding from there and the colours this weekend were spectacular.

I passed 18 other road cyclists’ on my particular route and about half a dozen motorcycle riders as well. It was an absolute perfect start to my day and the long weekend. It served as a reminder that sometimes you just need to step away from the chores and responsibilities and make some time for what you truly enjoy. The smile it put on my face and the joy I felt in my heart was certainly worth every moment of that ride. I hope to enjoy a few more adventures out on the bike this season, however if that was the last for me I will be content in the fact that it was perfect. Extra kudos to Elie at Impala Bicycles as well as he made some adjustments to my bike after the last time I had rode and I have to say, my bike never rode so well, perfection! (www.impalabicycles.com)

So along with great family, great friends and great food, I can also say I am truly thankful for this weekend’s road ride as well.

Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you too were able to enjoy the great outdoors this weekend and take in the spectacular views!

No comments:

Post a Comment