Friday, October 28, 2011

Coconut Milk - and I don't mean the kind in a can!

So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk

So, I've limited my dairy intake now for the past few years, ever since we had our daughter off dairy. Now, this does not mean that I am dairy free, I was at one time, however am not completely anymore. Will I be again, yes but not right now.

Anyway, I do not drink milk, I will admit that I still enjoy regular cow's milk in tea and there are times that I enjoy being a tea tottler (yes, I am fully aware that caffeine free herbal teas are way better for me than the regular Tetley and when drinking them I do not require milk or sugar, however, again, sometimes its a matter of taste and habit and some things I am just not ready to change.

So, no I do not "drink" milk, however I do still use dairy products, however I often try and limit my intake and frankly some weeks I use them more than others.

When I bake and cook something that requires "milk", I generally use Almond Milk, which is great, however I personally do not enjoy the unsweetened one and therefore only use the "Vanilla flavored" one which has added sugar, so I've been trying different dairy free alternatives over the years to try and find something that does not have that added sugar, since none of us need it.

Tada, I have found So Delicious Coconut Milk, unsweetened, and loving the total wholesome goodness it contains! There are very few items listed on the ingredient listing, they are: Organic coconut milk (water, organic coconut cream), carrageenan, guar gum....and thats it, simple.

So far I have used the coconut milk in pancakes, potato soup, in oatmeal, on cereal (this I'm not completely sold on, however I will keep trying), really it can be used in any recipe that calls for milk. One thing to note is that I have a friend who tried to use it in their protein shake and it thickened way too much, to a pretty much undrinkable, undesireable state! It would be great for curries or any sort of thai dish as well. There is not a strong coconut flavor at all, it is a fairly simple flavor, so easily substituted in any milk requiring dish.

Costco sells a 6 pack for $6.97, good deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment