Sunday, October 23, 2011

Chia Apple Pumpkin Muffins

I was perusing the internet this morning and stumbled upon a recipe for Chia Pumpkin Muffins. Since I still had some leftover pumpkin in the fridge I thought I would adapt this recipe to what I had on hand, since following someone’s else’s instructions doesn’t always work for me!

These muffins are not only gluten free but they are a good protein and fibre source and are moist and delicious!

Apple Pumpkin Chia Seed Muffins
  • 1 cup pureed pumpkin (canned organic works, just be sure its pure pumpkin)
  • 1 cup applesauce (unsweetened), I had some homemade in the freezer
  • 1 Tbsp chia seeds (ground in the coffee grinder)
  • ½ cup brown rice flour
  • ½ cup quinoa flour
  • ½ cup tapioca starch
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • 2 eggs (or substitute)
  • ¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
  • ½ cup pure maple syrup (may decrease to ¼ cup next time)
  • ¼ cup honey
  • 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • ½ cup chopped nuts are optional (since I plan on sending these to school, I had to sadly omit the nuts)

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Mix all ingredients together
  • Spoon into lined muffin cups
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done (when toothpick inserted comes out clean)
I just baked these and all I can say is heaven on a Sunday morning! Yummy!

Nutritional highlights:
  • Quinoa – not only is this gluten free, it also has a high protein content as it contains all of the essential amino acids. It is an excellent source of fibre and magnesium as well as a good source of minerals. It has a slight nutty flavor, which pairs well in this recipe.
  • Chia seeds – a whole food that is an excellent source of essential fatty acids, high in fibre and contains protein too! It is better known as a “super food”
  • Pure maple syrup and honey are used as sweeteners in this recipe as they are a natural sweetener, better for you than processed white sugars.
Apples and pumpkin spices have fall written all over it, paired with a cup of tea these muffins would have a perfect match.

No comments:

Post a Comment