Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Music, it's all in the tunes you play...even if it's in your head!


Music, that’s it!
 
Someone asked me the other day what it was that made me tick. Apparently music should have been my answer. Come to think of it, I’m not sure that I actually answered that question yet….maybe I should. 

Anyway, tonight was hockey night in the Bridge and my daughter and two of my girlfriends came to watch and as soon as I skated off the ice I got these words of advice: 

“You need music in your head, when the music is on you give it your all and skate like hell and when the music stops you straighten up, you get tense and you skate like shit!”  

So maybe that quote isn’t word for word, but it’s pretty damn close.  

Funny thing is, when I take my road bike or mountain bike out and I’m having a hard time keeping pace or making that next climb I tend to sing in my head to push through, so why wouldn’t it be any different for hockey? 

I’ll admit, I love hockey, just like I love my mountain bike and I’m sure if I tried any other sport I’d love it just as much. To be honest it’s the only time that I can ditch all the voices in my head; I can stop thinking or over thinking life and just be. Just be, in the moment 100%. That’s a hard thing to do these days, especially when we’re all so connected. Just be. It’s pretty simple really, yet sometimes it’s really hard to do. 

So, not only do I need to focus on keeping two hands on my stick, keep an eye on the defence player that I’m covering, keep my blades down, keep my stance wide, skate like hell but now I need to sing in my head in order to put it all together in a much better form!

Next question will be this:
What song will I sing? Which one will be my go to?  

Last year, every time I took my road bike out and every time I hit a gruelling climb, I automatically went to “Starships” by Nicki Minaj. It just doesn’t seem like a go to hockey song to be honest.  

My go to for spinning (not that I currently teach), regardless, if I want to get in “spin natzi” gear then it’s “Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting” by Nickelback and Kid Rock or “Burn It To The Ground” by Nickelback or “Better Off” by Theory of a Deadman.  

It’s amazing just what the right music will do for your mood. It can pump you up, it can bring you down or simply mellow you out. 

I have a week to figure out my hockey go to song.  Now I wonder just what it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment