Saturday, December 17, 2011

Birthdays

Well another year older and so far I can say that I'm not feeling any different. When you're a kid you can't wait for that next big day to arrive, you want to be that one-year-older. Kids think the world will change with a new number. I guess for some things in life the number really does make a difference.

When you’re a kid that number means you reach the age where you are able to go on that ride at the amusement park, ride in the back of the bus with the big kids, you are allowed to ride in the car in a normal seat (without a booster), as you get older you can get a license, go to the bar in Canada, then you are legal to drink in the US. Really when I think about it these are all milestones that we all anticipate, or most of us anticipate. I have memories of each of them. Beyond this there are the decade birthdays, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th and so on.

I can honestly say my 30th came in pretty mild, as I was pregnant with my daughter. For my 40th (which is still a ways away) I would love to hop on a plane and take a trip, however am pretty certain that it may have to wait till my 50th but a girl can dream!

Birthdays come and go, we tend to see a few more gray hairs in the mirror, we may have a few more wrinkles, but we’ve also created another year of memories, some good and some bad. It’s a great time to take some time to reflect on the year that has passed by and set a plan for the year ahead. Many people do this at New Year’s but birthdays are a great time to do it as well, however if you’re like me it all happens at once anyway.

Some years we may reflect and find that really not much has changed since last year, other years we may find that alot has changed. Take note of whether you learned the lessons and moved ahead or if you simply got stuck in a rut and stayed static. Without learning the lessons you will simply repeat as you have always done.

Remember, no regrets either, if at once it made you smile then it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment