Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Banana Chocolate Chip Millet Muffins


I was in search of some more healthier snack/breakfast/lunch options for the kids. You know, the kind that they may actually eat.

Turns out that the Pumpkin Chia Muffins that I have been making are a hit with the teenager so I thought I would seek out some more options to try.

I did a google search for millet and banana (or something like that) and found one on the http://www.thecleaneatingmama.com/ site called Banana Chocolate Chip Millet Muffins. I have some millet in the cupboard that I need to use up. It really is a tasty grain, I just haven't experimented much with it, so thought I'd try this.

Reasons why I have adapted the original recipe are:
a) to use a few healthier options than what were listed
b) to use ingredients that I had on hand, since I tend to improvise
c) and simply because I could

Ingredients:
2/3 cup millet
1 1/2 c kamut flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3 bananas, mashed
1/2 honey
2 T grapeseed oil (or coconut or olive oil)
1 c coconut milk (or almond, rice, soy, dairy, your choice)
1/2 c carob chips (dark chocolate or cacao would be other options, however I find if there are chocolate chips or any chocolate in the house it calls my name, I used to be able to leave the carob chips alone, however seem to be developing a taste for them as well....what to do!)

  • Preheat oven to 375
  • Measure the millet into a food processor or coffee grinder or blender and pulse into a fine flour texture. Pour into a medium bowl.
  • Add the remaining dry ingredients, stir with a fork (because this is how I sift!).
  • Add the bananas, honey, oil, milk alternative and chocolate chips, stir until mixed well, but don't over stir.
  • Grease a muffin tin, fill up each one and bake for approximately 20 minutes depending on your oven. 17-22 minutes to be safe.
 Makes approximately16 muffins.
Note - since you will have empty muffin spots in your pan simply fill the empty ones half way with water so you don't burn those open areas.

Nutritional Highlights:
Millet - another great gluten free grain (under debate as to whether or not this is a safe for those suffering from Celiac disease) which has a higher protein content than wheat, corn and rice. It is hypoallergenic and a good source of fibre.

Kamut - an ancient wheat, with a higher protein content and nutritional value than regular wheat products.

Note - these were a hit with the kids! Bonus! Next time I think I may reduce the honey to 1/4 cup though, I find with carob chips that they tend to have a sweeter taste, therefore I will attempt these again with less added sweetness next time.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment