Friday, September 9, 2011

That first leap

Leaping into the great unknown and tackling such a thing as mountain biking was a bit overwhelming. When I first got my mountain bike, I hit the trails a few times with my husband. It was scary as I had never done such a thing before and I found it was very hard to learn from him…he’s built differently than me, he could muscle his bike up, over or around anything and I had a hard time just steering mine!

I found out about the Fly Gurlz and got some info on the clinics offered. I pondered it and before I could chicken out I signed up for a clinic at Blue Mountain…it was the best thing that I could’ve done. I not only gained the skills and the confidence to ride, but found confidence in myself that I didn't have before that I could apply to all aspects of life.

What I found with The Fly Gurlz was that they were everyday women, they came in all shapes, sizes and fitness levels; they each had a story of their own, every one unique. The group is no longer active, the owner came to a point in her life where she needed to make a decision and change direction and it has worked out for her beautifully (see http://www.addaboy.ca/). I still keep in contact with many of the girls, they helped me to find my wings and taught me how to fly and that feeling will never be lost or forgotten.

Mountain biking opened the door to so many things. It’s taught me that fear is within yourself, tackle it and life will hand you everything you need to get through.
I had never been much for sports in the past but over the years have found great pleasure in many different sports including broom ball, basketball and ball hockey (ball hockey now becoming my fav!). Just taking that first step and pushing past my fear opened a door that I wish to never close again.

For me, its not just the thrill of the game or the fact that I may be sweating my ass off and gasping for air, but the laughter, the fun, the friendships that have come along with it.....all of it tied together provides such a great stress release and gets the body moving.

So, what's holding you back?

I read in a friend's blog post the other day the following quote and think it holds true:
"Leap and the net shall appear"


No comments:

Post a Comment