Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday Farmers Market

It's Sunday, and this time of year that means a trip to the local farmers market. Nothing beats the fresh produce that awaits us each week, some organic, some not, however mostly local. Local, meaning that it has not been picked prior to ripening, packed on a truck and shipped across the country to then sit on a grocery store shelf until we pick it up and bring it home. Fresh and local to me, means that it is grown in the proximity of my town, freshly picked and packed with flavour and nutrients.

Now, not everything I find at the market was grown within my town limits. I have purchased peaches for example that came in from Niagara, however at least they were Ontario and not shipped from thousands of kilometres away. They certainly taste a lot better than the ones that sit on the truck for days on end trying to cross our borders.

The best rule to follow in food selection is to purchase the freshest possible, as they tend to have the highest level of nutrients, especially when they have been grown in rich, organic soil.

Do I always buy organic? No. Should I? Yes, I imagine I should; however I do not. For me it is a price point at times, and at other times its simply availability of what I want and what is available at the time.

This year (and the last few, if we're being honest here!) I highly considered joining one of the CSA's (Community Shared Agricultural Farm programs), however I did not. Really, my biggest reason for not joining is the fact that I enjoy going to the market and perusing around the merchants and choosing what I am going to bring home. However, the thought of my produce arriving week to week at my door (or picking up my already packed box) does sound like it may be an adventure in itself, however it is still one that I ponder.

I have space, however do I have the time to put into a properly planned and attended garden? Not necessarily. This year I did plant a few tomato plants, a few pepper plants, a cucumber plant (which turned out to be a pumpkin plant (more on that later!) and some broad beans and have enjoyed the fresh from the garden taste and availability. My mother in law welcomed me to her garden of tomato plants weekly and a close family friend had an abundance of apples on their trees that I have quite enjoyed as well.

Below are a few of this weeks farmers market finds:
  • Golden Beets
    •  I love these beets, don't get me wrong, really I love beets in general, but what I love about the golden beet is that it doesn't stain my hands, or the countertop or anything else that comes in its path!
    • Beets are part of the chard and spinach family. Beets, although high in sugar content are an excellent source of folic acid and a very good source of fibre, manganese and potassium as well as magnesium, phosphorus, iron and vitamin B6.
    • Beets are stimulating to the liver's detoxification process and they have been shown to play a protective role against colon cancer
  • Apples 
    • Nothing beats the taste of a fresh apple! They are an excellent source of vitamin C, pectin and other fibres.
    • The skin of the apple contains many important phytochemicals, such as quercetin (a rich flavonoid). Quercetin has antioxidant, antihistamine, anticancer, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties.
  • Potatoes
    • I found a basket with a multitude of varieties of organic potatoes. Do you know that there are over 100 varieties of edible potatoes?
    •  Potatoes are a member of the nightshade family (eggplant, peppers and tomatoes). Also, good to note is the fact that the skin of the potato holds the most nutrients and fibre.
  • Eggs
    • I also purchased my eggs at the market today, now they are not as good as the ones that I get from my friends chickens, however since they did not have any available today I bought them at the market. I love eggs, they are such a highly nutritious food and my house goes through alot of them, each week!
    • Eggs are a low cost, high quality protein rich food, which is also an excellent source of vitamin K and a good source of B vitamins.

I came home from the market and made a great big bowl of fresh salsa (from my fresh tomatoes and a few green peppers, fresh garlic and jalopenos that I already had in the fridge) as well as a big batch of applesauce, all that's needed for that is a fresh supply of apples, a touch of water, a few dashes of cinnamon and the kids are drooling! Now, what's for dinner is yet to be determined, however I have an abundance of fresh produce to choose from.

I hope you take the time to stop by your local market or fresh produce stand on the weekends or on the way home from work. This time of year the variety is plentiful and nothing tastes better than the freshness that it holds inside!

Happy shopping!

(This blog is written from my own personal viewpoints and perspective and nothing more, take from it what you will!)

No comments:

Post a Comment